The Soft Jaws are designed to allow woodturners make up a special set of jaws for a job and store them away with the jigs and templates for the project.
- Easy to use - The four segments of quality nylon can be turned to shape using standard tools. They can be turned, sawn, drilled or tapped
- Markless holding - Being made of nylon, they also hold most woods without marking
- Vibrant colour - The vibrant NOVA red colour makes it easy to see profiles. By machining the profile after mounting, you can eliminate any errors that may have added up from mounting the jaws to chuck then to the spindle.
- Maximum holding - You can get full diameter holding on your specific work piece as you can turn out to the exact diameter required
- Thick jaw body - user can profile any shape they wish limited only by the fastening heads which are embedded 22.5 mm from the face of the jaws. This gives the turner a great deal of flexibility in what they can do
Product Technical Specification:
- Material: Nylon
- Outer ring diameter when close: 120mm (4.7")
- Thickness: 27mm (1")
- Weight: 275g (whole set)
Tips when you customise the soft jaw:
It is recommended to use a scraper that is about 1/2" wide with an end that is 90 degrees to the side of the scraper. It will cut on both sides and on the end. Recommended bevel angle is about 70 degrees.
When scraping nylon, the tool rest must be as close to the work as possible and you must always use a light touch.
Run your lathe at a speed between 1700 and 2000 rpm for best cutting.
You must take extra care when machining the Jaws so that you do not cut so deep as to hit the screw heads.