Dark Half adds depth to your grain to instantly give an aged look. A perfect blend of our Dark Tung Oil and natural, food-grade thinner, Citrus Solvent. Most projects require the thick viscosity of raw tung oil to be thinned in order to soak into the surface, so we have done that for you!
Instantly add Depth to your Grain for an Aged-Antique Finish
This is the same Dark Raw Tung Oil but we have mixed the Citrus Solvent in for you! The darkened color of Dark Half comes from mixing in a naturally occurring resinous hydrocarbon for color. The resin is non-carcinogenic and does not contain any PCB's. Dark Half by The Real Milk Paint Company is water and alkali resistant. It resists marring, penetrates well, elastic and unlikely to check. Dark Half penetrates deep into the wood pores filling them up, consolidates the wood surface and builds a dark matte wood finish. It should be kept in an airtight container with minimum airspace.
The Citrus Solvent used in this product is food contact safe and is derived from the skin of lemons, oranges, lime, and grapefruit. The Citrus Solvent evaporates into the air. Any time you crush and smell a plant you smell the evaporative oils, this is why there is a citrus scent to this product.
- Naturally polymerizing wood finish
- Cures by oxidation, not evaporation
- Does not form a glossy finish no matter the number of coats
- Form a flexible waterproof finish
- Resists abrasion and acids
- Does not blister and peel (properly applied)
- Does not mold like linseed oil
- Long shelf life
- Does not darken with time like linseed oil
- FDA approved for food contact
- Does not go rancid
- 7 to 10 days partial cure, 15 to 30 days full cure
- Already thinned (one to one ratio) so you can use it right from the bottle, start to finish
- Can be mixed with any other of the Milk Paint Company Tung Oil Products (i.e. Pure Tung Oil, Dark Tung Oil, Half & Half)
- 16 oz. covers 50 sq. feet
- 32 oz. covers 100 sq. feet
Hints and Tips
- Do not apply or leave fresh tung oil on a surface in direct sunlight. This will flash cure it on the surface and will turn white.
- Do not sand between coats of tung oil. This is an application technique for tung oil varnishes, not 100% tung oil.
- Do not use tung oil over oil-based sealers, stains, and finishes.
- It is recommended to use a water-based stain to change the color of wood before tung oil is applied if a color other than that provided the tung oil is desired. For a lighter, all-natural, tung oil finish check out our Pure Tung Oil and Half & Half products.
- Do not use the "green" thinners now being sold. They contain water and will not mix with the oil.
- Remember by adding petroleum mineral spirits or other thinners, the oil may become toxic with these substances mixed into it, although the finish produced is not toxic because the thinners evaporate.
- The number of coats of oil to be applied will be determined by the intended use of the piece. One to two coats is enough for decorative work, paneling and molding. For surfaces that receive moderate to heavy use or handling need a minimum of three and on up to six coats for maximum protection.
- Applying tung oil until the surface becomes fully saturated will give the best results. This will be evident as the surface will not absorb more oil.
- Renewal and/or maintenance coats are thinly applied with lint-free cloths (old bed sheets work well) or old t-shirt material on an as needed basis. A two parts solvent to one part tung oil mixture is recommended for maintenance coats.
- Do not get hung up on the number of coats, let the wood tell you when it has reached its maximum saturation.
- Tung Oil will be in the wood up to the surface not on the wood like varnish or polyurethane topcoat. The end result is more like seasoning a cast iron pan. This product will give you a surface that will stand up to vigorous use and spills: water will bead on the surface.
- After the tung oil has completely cured (30 days) cleaning of the surface can be done using hot water and mild soap, such as dish soap. Avoid using harsh chemicals or acids for cleaning.