Tung Oil is a hard drying wood oil that provides a lustrous and beautiful finish. It resists marring, penetrates well, and is environmentally friendly. Our tung oil is 100% pure and of the highest quality you'll find. It's all-natural, food safe, and creates a matte finish. FDA approved for food contact.
Enhance the character of wood with a great water-resistant finish
The Tung Oil offered by Real Milk Paint is a 100% pure oil meaning it comes without any heavy metals, additives, or distillates. Most other oils can be anything from a thinned down varnish to polymerized tung, and most have petroleum distillates added. Ours will not build a gloss finish or heavy finish but will penetrate deeply into the wood to enhance character and water resistance while creating a great wood finish.
This makes our pure tung oil perfect for uses such as wood countertops, bowls, butcher blocks, cutting boards, chopping blocks, outdoor furniture, decks, wood siding, wood flooring, concrete, brick and just about any porous surface that needs an environmentally friendly product.
The Tung Oil is ASTM Quality Tested to be light in color with the highest amount of reactive sites to ensure drying and a great wood finish. We use only the freshest, highest quality product. All of the oils are "fresh" pumped from a drum just before shipping.
Keep in mind, it's a natural "Honey" color. Cheaper grades are generally off-color or greenish. Other companies will not talk about the color because it's their quality that does not uphold. But color is important, you are using it to finish your wood so it makes sense that the way it looks plays a big part in the finish of your product.
- Zero VOC's
- All Natural means "Green"
- Freshness Guaranteed
- Best Available, Grade 1 yellow
- Naturally polymerizing finish
- Cures by oxidation, not evaporation
- Does not form a glossy finish no matter the number of coats
- Form a flexible waterproof finish
- Resists abrasion and acids
- Does not blister and peel (properly applied)
- Does not mold like linseed oil
- Long shelf life (will last for years, properly sealed)
- Does not darken with time like linseed oil
- Concentrated (thin one to one, doubles the coverage)
- Combined with "Citrus Solvent" makes an all-natural finish
- FDA approved for food contact
- Does not go rancid
- 7 to 10 days partial cure, 15 to 30 days full cure
- Covers 25 sq. feet
This is coverage for the oil only and not diluted with any Citrus Solvent, Pine Oil, or any other thinner. Thinning the oil will increase its coverage as well as enhance its saturation abilities.
Properties and Characteristics
- All natural finish that is water and alkali resistant and offers a protective barrier
- Will not darken with age as other finishes will
- It resists marring, penetrates well, elastic and unlikely to check
- It builds quickly, consolidates the wood surface, and builds a transparent matte finish
- It will not mildew or bleed like linseed oil when dry which makes it an excellent candidate for outdoor finishes
- It should be kept in an airtight container with minimum airspace
- It contains no thinners or driers and has a light nutty odor
- Can be mixed with any other of our Tung Oil Products (i.e. Dark Tung Oil, Dark Half, Half & Half, Outdoor Defense Oil)
- A Pure Tung Oil finish mixed with Citrus Solvent is an all-natural organic finish that is environmentally safe and food safe
- For a less expensive alternative for thinning the Pure Tung Oil, try odorless Mineral Spirits
Pure Tung is recommended for finishing kitchen tables, chopping blocks, cutting boards, butcher block, wood and concrete countertops, wood floors, concrete floors, refinishing wood floors, outdoor decks, outdoor furniture, wood siding, log homes (both interior and exterior), and similar uses. Its non-toxic nature makes it particularly appropriate for children's toys and furniture. It gives good protection to wood paneling and molding.
The oil's matte finish will do nicely on certain pieces of furniture, but if a glossy finish is preferred you will need to buff and wax the finish or use polymerized tung oil or a formulated tung oil-based product over top.
We have found tung oil to be a valuable helper in the workshop. It adheres very well to unpolished metal, and a light coat rubbed onto tool steel is an effective rust inhibitor. Wooden handles will also benefit from the occasional coat.
THINNING: Can be thinned with Citrus Solvent for an all-natural finish. Can also be thinned with Mineral Spirits, Odorless Mineral Spirits, Paint thinner, Odorless Paint thinner. Do not use the "Green" type paint thinner or "Green" odorless paint thinners. These "Green" thinners contain water. They will not mix with the oil.
TEMPERATURE: Should remain above freezing during and after application for a period of 10 to 15 days. If freezing temperatures do occur it is possible for the fat in the oil to rise out of the oil and deposit on the surface. The warmer the temperature the faster the oil will cure. However direct sunlight baking a surface after a "fresh" application can quickly polymerize the oil and result in a dry rubbery frosted appearance or a distinctly more glossy finish than the surrounding area.
STORING MATERIAL: Stored in moderate temperatures. Do not freeze and do not store in hot places like attics. It should also be stored out of direct sunlight like a mildly heated basement area. A mixture of Tung Oil and Citrus Solvent should be stored in the "White" Citrus Solvent container. These are treated to hold the Solvent for optimum storage.
FDA: Tung Oil is approved for food contact by the FDA.
NOTE: Keep containers tightly closed away from extreme temperature changes and open flames. As with all oils, rags, steel wool, or waste soaked with oil, may spontaneously catch fire if improperly discarded. Immediately after use, place the oil-soaked material in a sealed water-filled metal container or hang outside separately to dry.