StopLossBags® are designed for oil, water, & alcohol-based wood finishes. They are not suitable for lacquer. Each bag has a cap.
Patented StopLossBags® allow you to preserve the fresh off-the-shelf quality of wood finishes. The specially formulated 3-ply construction helps prevent loss of solvents while a gas barrier inhibits oxygen penetration into the bag. Each bag holds 1.05 quarts or 1.0 liters.
Almost all woodworkers have had the experience of throwing out cans of skinned-over varnish. Metal cans are excellent for transport and storage until opened, but are not designed for dispensing the finish or the exclusion of oxygen after some of the contents are used.
Once the finish has been transferred to a StopLossBags® it is easy to dispense, a lot or a little, into a cottage cheese container or other similar wide-mouthed container for applying the varnish. After pouring out what you need simply squeeze any bubble out of the bag before tightening the cap.
- Specially formulated for woodworking finishes
- Internationally recognized, Patented Design
- Retain the solids to solvent ratio of fresh varnish
- Get more consistent results (no more lap marks)
- Easy to Open, easy to close (no more prying lids off or pounding them back on)
- Dispense a lot, or a little, as needed
- Unsurpassed in retaining finish quality after opening
- Environmentally Friendly (no more skinned-over cans of varnish to dispose of)
- Easily remix/stir semigloss, satin, matte finishes by rotating (clear bag wall lets you see when you're done)
- Use more of the varnish you've paid for
- Remains fresh-from-the-shelf consistency all the way to the bottom of the bag
- Inexpensive, and they really work
Filling the Bag
Filling the bag can be done by using a turkey baster, our Filler Tube and Adapter Tube Set, or our StopLossBag® Collapsible Funnel. To use a turkey baster, draw finish into it, then fit it over the spout of the bag. It will take a number of times to make the transfer. The Filler & Adapter Tube Set fits onto the spout of the StopLossBag® and allows it to connect to most funnels. We've included plans for the "filling station," a stand to hold a funnel connected to a StopLossBag (see our DIY Accessories page). The easiest transfer is with the StopLossBag Collapsible Funnel which fits over an opened quart or liter can and the spout of a StopLossBag. Because it is made of silicone, it can be frequently be cleaned without solvents. Non-Glossy Finishes should be well stirred to insure the matting agents are in suspension before transferring to a StopLossBag. After the transfer it will be easy to see through the clear bag wall the settled agents at the bottom of the bag. Putting them back into suspension is done by rotating and inverting the bag several times. It will be easy to see when it is ready to use.
Use the white information block on the front of the bag to record the finish you're putting into each StopLossBag. A Magic Marker type of pen works well, and it wipes away easily with alcohol. Hint: write the contents before filling the bag.